Sir Lowry’s Pass Community
![]() |
| Members of the Church w/ the girls & I that attended. |
This past week we spent our afternoons in the Sir Lowry Pass (SLP) community, a township located on at the base of mountains here in Cape Town. Monday we went into the community late afternoon and stayed to cook dinner with the families and eat together. We were split into smaller groups and assigned to a Soup Mom’s family.
Here in SLP there are women that cook soup on a rotation schedule for kids in the community so they are guaranteed a hot meal. The ingredients for the soup are sponsored by private donors; the women collect the supplies and cook every week. So we broke bread with the women that feed their communities.
The past week was quite an interesting experience for me and the picture here is from the pictures a student took. I had a hard time with the idea of going in and taking pictures so that I could record this week of service as another tourist attraction. I’m not saying that’s what our students did, but at times that’s how I felt. We were paired with Ms. Hetta and her family so every afternoon we went into the community where we played with the children and then we would go and visit with our Soup Mom. We actually had a unique experience because we joined Ms. Hetta for church on Sunday. It was a really pretty fantastic experience and a good ending to what started out (for me) as a challenging week! We will go into SLP one more time this upcoming Wednesday for a closing celebration, which I’m excited to see.

No comments:
Post a Comment