Wednesday, June 8, 2011

It could only be an ADVENTURE! ~ Week 3 in S.A.


 May 30 – June 3
Our Road Worthy Truck for the Week!

At 5:00am last Monday we departed for our “adventure” week up the Garden Route, and that one word sums it up pretty perfectly.  From bungy jumping from the tallest bungy, to riding elephants, freezing all week, and encountering sketchy sleeping arrangements, it was an adventure through & through!  Any time we foundourselves complaining we would pretty quickly shout out “Adventure” and then we would just start cracking up!  Our first day…rather within our first 3 hours we had one student get car sick (or rather “truck” sick & yep, he was sitting next to me), our guide dislocated his pinky finger because of a sharp turn in the truck (will have to save this story for in person), and we took a wrong turn & thus got lost/behind on our time schedule.  Well, what can you expect when you pile 27 people in a road worthy safari-style truck for a week…it could only be an adventure!

Ostriches & Caving!

Zach being kissed by a "dwarf" Ostrich

Map of the CRAZY 1.2Km Cave we explored!

Cave Formations

Squeezing through a tight spot






















Knysna Heads 
Tessa, Betsy & I at Knysna 













Tessa & I w/ Jabu





  





Elephants, Monkeys & Bungy, Oh My!



Elephants warn you to "get away" by flipping their ears -- this becomes important later on during our trip at the National Park in Addo!
Elephant Sanctuary
We survived the tallest bungy (guinness book of world records) & I think I can safely say once was enough for me on this one!
Students & I on the Bridge to Bungy!
Taking the Plunge
Deep into the gorge
Monkey Land!
















Jeffery’s Bay (famous for surfing) & Night Safari

On the Beach at Jeffery's Bay!

Surfer's

Touching the Indian Ocean!
 Night Safari in Addo National Park -- it was FREEZING... I mean, it is winter after all!

Elephants!


Largest/Longest Tusks on any of the elephants we've seen! Incidentally, at the Elephant Sanctuary we learned about what elephants do when they feel threatened, right before they charge...we experienced that in Addo with this Elephant -- a bit scary, even if we were in our mammoth truck!  Yikes!
Spotting a Whale!











Observing some Shark-Cage Diving
The last day of the adventure students went Shark-Cage Diving & unfortunately I didn't really get any good pictures of this fascinating "tourism" adventure.  I didn't agree with it before I went, and I still don't agree with it after -- they didn't seem to prove my reasoning wrong...

Overall, the week was pretty amazing!  And now we're back in Cape Town experiencing the "service-learning" aspect of the course, which means we're visiting one of the townships here, Sir Lowry's Pass.  I'll have more stories to share.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment