Wednesday, June 22, 2011

My Big 5

Sunset from the balcony
Table Mountain
 This may be my last post for South Africa, I’m planning to continue blogging so I hope you’ll continue to read from time to time.  Now that I’ve been home less than 48 hours, I figured I would share my top experiences.  In Africa there are the “Big 5” which are the five wildest animals that can be found in Africa: Lions, Leopards, Elephants, Water Buffalo, and the Rhino.  These animals are amazing, each in their own right, and my trip to South Africa has been pretty amazing too.  So I thought if Africa can have FIVE animals, then it would be fitting for me to have FIVE “best moments/experiences” to share with you.




Old Biscuit Mill – I absolutely loved going to the Old Biscuit Mill with its bourgeois vibe and delectable treats.  From pastries to sandwiches, coffee, teas and wine, the food was divine.  The shops were quaint with everything from jewelry, clothing, furniture, and a few South African souvenirs scattered here and there.

The Nelson Hotel for High Tea – Just being able to experience the ambiance of “High Tea” and to sit and revel in what it must have been like to be a guest of the Nelson in the late 1800’s/early 1900’s was awesome!  Not to mention, the company was great ,the tea was delicious and the food was delectable!

Elephants on Adventure Week – By our second day we had seen elephants because we visited the Elephant Sanctuary in Plettenburg Bay where we were able to learn about these “gentle giants”.  We also had quite the experience in Addo National Park with these beautiful creatures.  Addo Park is one where you can only drive because you’d be risking your life with the wildlife that lives there (Lions, Elephants, Kudu, etc.).  In Addo, our truck got a little too close to a male elephant in musk and he mock charged us – talk about scary and awesome all at the same time!




Ms. Hetta

Church with Ms. Hetta in Sir Lowry’s Pass  -- As I mentioned in an earlier post, my time in Sir Lowry’s Pass was a mixture of emotions because of my experiences.  Being able to share in worship with Ms. Hetta and her community was a memory I will never forget – I feel blessed to have had the opportunity to worship together.

District 6 Museum & Walking Tour – This experience brought to life the cruelties of Apartheid and the hope that exists today for South Africa to one day be healed from this ugly scar in history.  To see the resiliency and hope that exists from such hatred is remarkable.

Remnants of District 6 












So, there may be the “BIG 5” but there are also animals that get some Honorable Mentions, like the Zebra’s, Giraffe’s, and Hippo’s – because really, would you ever expect to see these animals on a daily basis?  So here are my honorable mentions that are like the Giraffe’s, Zebra’s and Hippos of Africa. J


Cango Caves – On Adventure Week we had the opportunity to visit the Cango Caves, which were INCREDIBLE!  We went almost a mile into the Cave – but there are MORE caves that aren’t open to the public.  It was breathtaking and like nothing I have ever seen/experienced (and I’ve been fortunate to have seen some pretty cool caves stateside)!

Students -- Getting to know the students that chose to experience South Africa through the eyes of Global Lead was pretty great.  The impromptu conversations about life,  about what they were experiencing, and about their visions and life after Global Lead were some of my favorite.


Playing with the Children in Sir Lowry’s Pass – I was apprehensive about being able to connect with the children in SLP, but within the first hour of day one I had them playing a modified game of Giants, Wizards & Elves (similar to Paper, Rock, Sissors) and then they taught me how to play Sun & the Moon (dodge ball) and Net Ball later on in the week.



Sunset
Kite Surfers
The View from our Apartment – We had a fantastic view of the ocean on one side and of Table Mountain on the other.  From our dining table, I could watch the sunrise and set on Table Mountain, both are beautiful.  And to watch the tide come in an out, listening to the waves crash, or watching Kite Surfers on a windy day…well, I wish I was still there! J




Sunrise



No comments:

Post a Comment